Monday, November 28, 2011

Long time coming!

Daniel and I first adopted 6 years ago. Since then we have adopted 3 more times, most of our children having special needs. This has resulted in us being different than most people we know for two reasons: the first having a child (or children) with special needs, something that often leaves you feeling alone. The second, is having children who are adopted. Not only because of some of the unique situations you go through because of it, but also because of the fact that no one else seems to understand, or have the same passion as you.

September this year all of that has changed, so I felt I just had to write a post about it. Maybe others have been feeling the same way? In September, we started our first adoption support group. We knew there was a lack of support in the Christian circle. Of course there are supports out there for adoption, but it is a different world. We saw a need and thought we would help. What I didn't know, was how much it would help ME! We have only met a few times, and I can honestly say I want to be friends with these people for the rest of my life. It is like I have finally opened the curtain to a new way of living. I never quite realized how important it is to have other people in your life who care about the same things and who truly understand the trials and blessings you might experience! Not everyone in our group has adopted yet. Some are still in the process, some are getting ready to begin in the near future, others have already adopted once or twice. But somehow, it is exactly what I needed. It sparks a new fire in me to continue with things, knowing I am not always alone in my quests. When we first were in our adoption training 6 years ago, I remember thinking how I wouldn't need a group like that. I would be able to parent my children on my own just fine. But that is not what it is about. I still can parent just fine on my own. But now, when I am having a hard week waiting to hear back from an agency, or we have company over and my kids seem like they were fed mexican juimping beans for dinner, I know these people will understand. I know I will have someone to call and rejoice with when a package of papers is received in a new country. I am so thankful for this new group, and blessed beyond words to have these new and wonderful people in my life. Thank you Adoption Support Group!!

No comments:

Post a Comment